Thursday, December 24, 2009

I am cooking an elk pot roast. All recipes call for red wine, can I use something else?

I would also like to know, should I soak the roast in something, like I do deer, before cooking. Does anyone have any good recipes for this. The piece of elk I have is the hind quarter.I am cooking an elk pot roast. All recipes call for red wine, can I use something else?
For a pot roast beer is also good. Beer goes well with meat in braises so it should do well here. You can marinade the roast for flavor but it won't make any difference in the final texture of the meat.I am cooking an elk pot roast. All recipes call for red wine, can I use something else?
Elk Roast





3 pounds elk roast


2 cups onion, cut in 2'; pieces


2 cups potatoes, cut in 2'; pieces


1 cup carrots, cut in 2'; pieces


1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced


2 Tablespoos liquid smoke


3 Tablespoons (or more) Worcestershire sauce


3 Tablespoons (or more) soy sauce


1/ cup beef broth





Put in LARGE oven cooking bag in an oblong baking pan (so the bag


fits inside the pan). To the bag, add the elk roast. Add all liquids,


then vegetables around the meat. Put the mushrooms on top of


everything else, then spices on top of them. You want to have 1'; of


liquid on the bottom of the bag, so if you need more, add a little


water or white wine. Seal the bag. Poke several small holes in top of


bag to let steam escape. Bake at 300-325 degrees for 3 1/2 hours.
























Elk is like venison, rather dry and wild in flavor. I would soak it just as you do venison. Cider vinegar??





there are lots of things you can use instead of wine. any broths at all, water, cider, beer, anything to add flavor and moisture to your pot!





I slivered most of the elk and made it into jerky. So don't have any recipes from the time I had a freezer full of elk. My brother in law gave me half!
Grape juice, vegetable stock, cranberry juice, tomato juice, non-alcohol red wine such as Cabernet.
You can replace the wine with beef or veal stock if you're trying to avoid alcohol.
  • ingredients cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment